Scalloped potatoes is such a comforting meal or side dish. Some thinly sliced potatoes nicely organized on a bed of caramelized onions and ham, topped with a generous amount of cheese and baked it in the oven, you will get an irresistible gratiné dish.
Also called gratin dauphinois in French, this is an amazing Fall or Winter meal to have on the table for your family or your friends. French recipes can impress by their names you but like I showed you for the French Basque Chicken, it's easy to prepare!
Scalloped Potatoes made easy
This dish is really just about layering the potatoes and pouring some milk and heavy cream on it. Slowly baked in the oven will give you some potatoes cooked to perfection. Not mushy, not hard, just al dente!
TRUE STORY: We have a friend who is a chef and we had him for dinner. I made this and managed to miss it! I eyeballed the milk and poured too much. The potatoes were swimming in the milk! Ahah, I was stressed I guess.
Also, we are all humans! It was still a nice evening!
Easy to prepare & forget it in the oven
Granted, caramelized onions need time to make, otherwise, the time you need for this recipe is to cut the potatoes. Do you have a mandoline? Or did you invest in one since my Apple tart, this is the time to take it out?
I have the step-by-step of these delicious scalloped potatoes just for you! And me... because writing this post makes me drool!
A picture or a few speak better than a thousand words, here you go...
For the caramelized onions, you can refer to the steps on this recipe here. I use them as topping for burgers but also for salads.
More Comforting Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating on the recipe card below & and a comment about your experience. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram, thanks!
Scalloped Potatoes With Ham & Caramelized Onions
- 1 onion caramelized
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup ham cubed
- 4 pounds potatoes 15 potatoes medium size
- 300 ml milk
- 300 ml heavy cream
- salt to taste
- nutmeg to taste
- ½ to 1 cup cheese depending how cheesy you want it
- Preheat the oven at 350C.
- In a hot pan, pour some olive oil and cook the sliced onion for 40 minutes on low until caramelized. Set aside.
- In a hot pan, char the cubed ham for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a rectangular baking dish (12 x 16), spread the caramelized onion and ham.
- Peel the potatoes, rince them and slice them thinly with a sharp nice or a mandoline.
- Place the potatoes in rows and layers until you all of it are used.
- In a bowl, pour the milk and cream. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Stir.
- Pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle the cheese.
- Place the dish in the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Put a knife though the potatoes to make sure it's cooked. It's ready!
michele brand says
I have made gratin dauphinois all my life but the idea of adding caramalized onions and charred ham is just Genius. Merci Mélanie pour cette suggestion :):):)