This post is sponsored by Veal Farmers of Ontario. Opinions are my own.
This delicious rack of veal recipe is exquisite and makes a meal special. Roasted to perfection with a mustard and honey crust, the veal cooked on a bed of vegetables is delectable and tender.
Ontario veal has a subtle character that tends to take on the flavours it is cooked with. It is a delicious, lean, nutrient-packed, high-quality protein that is an ideal choice for a great home-cooked meal. Ontario veal is only grain-fed.
You can easily make a look fancier than it is like this grilled duck breast salad or the duchess potatoes. It presents well and it is easy to prepare. Veal is very present in French cuisine and the Mediterranean culture in general so naturally, this is a familiar flavour for me.
What Is A Rack Of Veal ?
Ontario veal has a vast assortment of available cuts that can be, among other things, grilled, sautéed, braised, roasted, slow-cooked and pan-fried. The rack is the part of the fillet attached to the rib of veal. It is a tender part of the meat.
How does veal differ from lamb? What are the differences between veal and pork?
Compared to other meats such as pork, beef, and chicken, all veal cuts are extra lean (7.5 g of fat or less per 100 g portion) and contain a very low amount of saturated fat.
Veal is an excellent source of iron, zinc, and Vitamin B12 which are essential for overall good health including physical and mental performance, infection resistance, and proper growth respectively.
What type of cows are used for veal?
Veal is produced from male (bull) dairy calves as they represent 50% of the calves born. Since they can't produce milk, bull calves are used by the veal industry to create a quality food product.
How To Roast Rack Of Veal With Honey And Mustard?
The steps to prepare this piece of meat are simple. I would recommend a fresh veal, never frozen.
First, prepare the bed of vegetables: chop some shallots, mince the garlic cloves, some young potatoes and carrots and all tossed in some salt, pepper, and virgin olive oil.
Spread all the veggies in a roasting pan. I use my large 12 x 16 oven dish, it works perfectly. Pour some vegetable broth on them, it will add flavour while cooking. Alternatively, you can replace the broth with white dry wine.
Now, take your veal rack, pat it dry with some paper towel if necessary, and season with salt, pepper, and some olive oil. Make a nest in the middle of the vegetables and place your meat there.
Cooking the veal
Cook in the oven for 75 minutes. During that time, we will prepare the honey mustard crust that we will spread on the roasted rack. In a small bowl, mix together the 2 mustards, the honey, and the crumbs. It will look like a paste.
After the hour and 15 minutes, take the meat out of the oven. Place the veal on a chopping board - be careful it's hot - and spread the honey-mustard paste evenly on the rack. Put the meat back in the oven dish and back in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Above all, it is important to check the cooking guide on the veal cooking time guide. To measure the temperature, you need to have your thermometer inserted in a thick part of the meat. The doneness depends on the size and cuts of your veal.
TIP: Take the meat out of the oven 5 to 10 degrees before its desired doneness as the meat continues cooking after being removed. (Source: Ontariovealappeal.ca)
That is all there is to this rack of veal roast. Full of flavour, easy, delicious and an elegant festive dish.
Where To Buy A Rack Of Veal?
You might find it in the meat area of your regular store. The best would be to go to your butcher. I go to Colangelo's Brother and I know they work directly with the veal farmers. A butcher will help you choose the best cut for your dish and clean up your meat.
For this recipe, I asked for my rack of veal to be frenched (clean bones) and tight up with twine. I asked how many ribs are in a rack and how many I needed for 4 people. Grain-fed veal is a bigger bull calf so it only took 3 chops for 4 people (3 pounds).
What To Serve With This Veal Recipe?
Rack of Veal With Honey And Mustard Crust
- 3 pounds Rack of veal 1.5kg
- 2 carrots big
- 2 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 pound small potatoes
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoon mustard, old fashioned
- 2 teaspoon mustard, regular
- 2 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Chop some shallots, mince the garlic cloves.
- Wash the potatoes and carrots. Peel the carrots and slice them (about ¼ to half of an inch thickness) and half the potatoes if there are too big (bigger than 2 inch ball).
- In a large 12 x 16 oven dish, place the shallots, garlic, carrots and potatoes, pour the olive oil, salt and pepper, toss well.
- Pour the vegetable broth on them.
- Take your veal rack, pat it dry with some paper towel if necessary, and season with salt, pepper, and some olive oil. Make a nest in the middle of the vegetables and place your meat there.
- Cook in the oven for 75 minutes.
- During that time, prepare the honey mustard crust: In a small bowl, mix together the 2 mustards, the honey and the crumbs. It will look like a paste.
- After the hour and 15 minutes, take the meat out the oven. Place the veal on a chopping board – be careful it’s hot – and spread the honey-mustard paste evenly on the rack.
- Put the meat back in the oven dish and back in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a meat thermometer, check that it reads 160F (71F).
Did you make it? Share it and tag me on Instagram @bonappeteat
Wow, I've never made my own rack of veal but this looks really amazing so I'll give it a chance!