This 3-ingredient butternut squash soup is delicious and easy! It is that simple to eat a healthy and homemade comforting soup that your whole family will love! The butternut squash is cut in half, seasoned and roasted with an onion in the oven to be then blended into a soup with some broth.
The ingredients are minimal with only 3 ingredients! The recipe comes together effortlessly in only 2 steps, ideal for the winter months. It’s an amazing recipe that will be enjoyed by so many from the vegetarian to the healthy eater.
If you liked my ginger carrot soup or my French leek soup, you will really love this one too! Also, if you love butternut squash, you should try this pasta roll ups.
🥘 Why you will love my easy butternut squash soup
- Easy to make
- An healthy soup
- Minimal preparation
- Perfect comforting soup for the cold months
- And an amazing soup for everyone: vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free
🥣 Ingredients Needed
The beauty of this recipe is that it requires only 3 ingredients and from there, you can add anything you wish as a topping.
- Butternut Squash: For this recipe, we are using a fresh vegetable as we will roast it.
- Onion: Take a large one or 2 small one to make sure to taste it.
- Vegetable broth: You can use homemade one or store-bought if it is easier for you.
📋 Variations and Substitutions
Since this is a 3-ingredient butternut squash soup recipe, it gives you a lot of room to customize it.
- Herbs: Add more flavours by blending some herbs such as sage, rosemary or thyme.
- Spice it up: Add a little kick to your soup with some chili flakes or jalapeno.
- Broth: You can also use chicken stock if you wish.
- Toppings: Seeds or toasted nuts, croutons, a drizzle of cream, crumbled feta or goat, or simply some fresh ground black pepper.
In terms of preparation, this recipe can be easily prepared in the Instant Pot too: put all the ingredients in. You would need to cube the butternut squash to allow it to be immersed in the broth though.
🔪 How To Prepare It
This recipe has only 2 simple steps. First, you will roast your onion and butternut squash and then blend it with the vegetable stock to make it a soup.
First, using chef knife and a chopping board, get a good and safe grip on your vegetable and cut the butternut squash in 2. Next, using a spoon, scoop out the seed and peel the onion and cut it in 4 (Picture 1).
Now, on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicone mat, place the halved squash and the onion and drizzle with olive oil and salt or garlic salt if you have.
Next, cook 40 to 45 minutes in the oven. You can poke it with a knife to make sure it is cooked through and ready (Picture 2). It is now ready to be scooped with a spoon.
Lastly, place the roasted butternut squash flesh and onion in the blender and add the broth. Blend it until smooth and it is ready to serve!
It was that easy to make a 3-ingredient butternut squash soup!
Tip: You can also use your immersion blender if you prefer.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Of course, you might want to put a half a cup less of broth and blend. Then, adjust the thickness by adding gradually some more.
You can either store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.
Since I roast it, I find it easier to scoop it out. However, the peel is also edible, you can also blend it. Reminder, always wash your produce well before cutting them, even if you are not eating the peel.
Yes, this vegetable is packed with vitamins such as A and C, magnesium and potassium. This recipe is low on calories and high in fibre.
🥖 What To Serve With The Soup
If you love some carbs with your soup, here are a few ideas:
🥣 More Delicious Soups
Do you need more inspiration for soup season? I got you covered!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating on the recipe card below & and a comment about your experience. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram, thanks!
📖 3-Ingredient Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 Blender
- 1 butternut squash washed
- 1 onion large
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Next, using a spoon, scoop out the seed and peel the onion and cut it in 4.
- Place everything on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper: the halved squash and the onion and drizzle with olive oil and salt.
- Cook 40 to 45 minutes in the oven. You can poke it with a knife to make sure it is cooked through and ready.
- Once done, scoop the roasted butternut squash flesh and place it the blender with the onion.
- Then, add the broth. Blend it until smooth and it is ready to serve!
- You can blend the peel with the butternut squash, it is edible. Make sure to wash it before cutting it.
- Use homemade broth or store-bought.
- Serve with cream, seeds, nuts or crispy sage leaves.
When I get home from Hawaii and am freezing my bum off, this is the soup I will make!!
Hawaii??? :( so jealous! Enjoy! !
Heather, Mmm... is for Mommy says
I never need to be coerced into soup... yours sounds wonderful!
It's freezing out and I would love to be slurping up a bowl of this!
I know Tara, I totally agree. The whole house has been sick for a few day, I would be appropriate :)
I can just imagine the aroma of this! What is it about fall and the delicious recipes it brings? :)
I know Jessica, although Fall brings the cold too and I am not so fan ahah