Duchess Potatoes are such an elegant side dish in a cute little shape. These mashed potatoes piped in roses and baked in the oven until golden are simple steps to achieve it. This is a great side dish to serve for a special event.
Piping your mashed potatoes in this cute shape makes such an elegant and perfect side dish for all occasions. Christmas, New Year's Eve, birthdays, or Valentine's Day, there are so many great occasions to add to your table.
Don't forget! They can also be finger food for a potluck or buffet!
🔪 How To Make Duchess Potatoes?
- Potatoes: You can use Yukon gold potatoes or 2 pounds russet potatoes
- Egg yolks
- Butter: I use salted butter
- Nutmeg: the perfect hint of spice
Although it might seem like a long process to make the duchess potatoes, I just love the way it presents. It can be prepared in advance and frozen for later so you don't necessarily have to make it the day you are planning to have friends over for dinner!
First, wash and peel some potatoes. Then, boil them until tender and mash them using a potato masher. Also, preheat oven for later.
Then, add some seasoning, soft or melted butter, and egg yolks, mix some more. Using a piping bag, with a star tip, start piping your mashed potatoes in rose shapes until you don't have anymore.
Lastly, half an hour in the oven and voilà! Easy peasy, it's ready and it looks divine!
You can't really go wrong. It is a simple recipe that presents very well.
TIP: If you don't have a piping bag, just cut the corner of a ziplog bag!
💭 FAQ Tips
YES! This is totally an option. Freeze the duchess potatoes once piped on your baking sheet. Once frozen you can then transfer them to a container, they won't stick to each other.
If you don't have one, use a big zip lock bag and make a cut in one of the bottom corners. The appearance will be a little different but the taste won't be.
What Goes Well With Duchess Potatoes?
Basque Chicken is a great option with this side dish. It is juicy and they compliment each other.
Some Mediterranean salmon would be also lovely.
More Potato Recipe Ideas
📖 Duchess Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoon butter
- Nutmeg to taste
- Salt to taste
- Wash the potatoes.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Cut them in quater and put them in a pot with water. (cold so the potatoes cook evenly)
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the heat.
- In a dish, mash the potatoes.
- Add the butter and egg yolks, mix well.
- Add nutmeg and salt to taste.
- In a 16' decorating bag, put your mashed potatoes. Using a star piping tip, swirl some dollops of mashed potatoes.
- Bake in a hot oven at 425F for 20 minutes or until golden. (depending on your oven).