Tasty and healthy, these corn, bacon, and zucchini fritters are quick to make. With a little smoky flavour, pesto, and some vegetables, it is a great side to your salad or soup. The drizzle of olive oil in the pan is just enough to make it crunchy and healthier. Not fried, not greasy! Just delicious!
Perfect for a picnic, potluck, weekday dinner, or the lunch boxes of the little ones or grown-ups!
This is a great recipe for a simple lunch such as my carrot and chicken patties or Caprese sandwiches.
Why you will love these fritters:
- A HEALTHIER lunch option
- Packed with great FLAVOURS
- EASY to make
🥗 Ingredients Needed
Only 6 simple ingredients to prepare an easy recipe that you can adapt if you need to:
A few notes on some of the ingredients:
- ZUCCHINIS: The highlight of the recipe, do not consider using frozen (such as frozen zoodles) it would be too much moisture released in the fritters.
- CORN: It can be frozen corn and cooked or canned, both would work.
- BACON: It can be store-bought bacon bits or cooked bacon cut into small pieces.
- PESTO: Pesto is always in my fridge, I love how I can add it to different dishes or salads to enhance a blended dish. The combo with the zucchini is a winner. Can be skipped but don't!
- EGGS: Most of the time, I buy large eggs so you'll only need 2. Adapt to 3 if you only have small ones.
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR: Don't skip it, it will bind all the ingredients together and balance the moisture.
🔪 How To Make It
It is a rather simple fritters recipe, here are the few steps to make them.
First, let's prepare the zucchinis: using a cheese grater, shred them. Next, place the shredded zucchinis in a paper towel and gently squeeze the excess water. (Picture 1)
Then, set the zucchini aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. (Picture 2) Now, you can add the fresh corn and zucchini to the eggs and mix well (Picture 3)
Lastly, add the chopped bacon, pesto, and flour to the bowl. Mix some more until fully incorporated. (Picture 4)
Tip: If you wish, you can add extra herbs to the mix such as cilantro, chives, tarragon or thyme.
Cooking: In a cast-iron skillet, over medium-high heat, pour some olive oil. Using an ice cream scoop, drop some corn zucchini batter on the hot pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.
Serve while it is hot with some sour cream and some extra bacon bits for the crunch!
📋 Variations and Substitutions
If you wish to give a different spin to these yummy fritters, here are some ideas for you:
- Vegetarian: Skip the bacon to be able to offer it to the nonmeat eater and save the bacon as an add-on on top of the sour cream.
- Spicy up: Pour a few drops of sriracha, chili oil, or harissa to add a little fire to your fritters.
- Deluxe version: Dip it in guacamole, queso cheese, or top it up with crispy onions.
Also, if you wish, to make it gluten-free, use gluten-free flour, do not skip it.
💭 Recipe FAQs
Zucchinis retain a lot of water. Although you have the flour to absorb the humidity, you need to squeeze some out as well. This is an essential step before making the zucchini fritter recipe. Doing this and the flour will balance the moisture of your fritter and keep the crisp after you cook it.
The fritter tastes best when fresh and warm. However, it does keep well in a container to reheat later. I enjoy them cold too and so do my kids.
How To Serve With A Zucchini Fritter?
- You can eat it for a lunch on the go with a topping such as tzatziki like this one from Momsdish.
- Make it a nice vegetarian lunch and serve it on the side of a delicious salad. What a nutritious lunch!
- Snack time! If you are more of a savoury person, this is a nutritious snack for grown-ups and kids. Pack it for work or for school.
More Yummy Zucchini Recipes
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating on the recipe card below & and a comment about your experience. Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram, thanks!
📋 Corn, Bacon, and Zucchini Fritters
- 1 cheese grater
- 2 sheets of paper towel
- 2 Zucchinis
- 2 Eggs Large, beaten
- ½ cup Flour 50g
- 1 teaspoon Pesto
- ½ cup bacon cooked and chopped
- ½ cup corn
- Salt to taste
- Grate the zucchini and place it in on a paper towel.
- Using the paper towel, drain the water from the zucchinis (as shown on picture in the post)
- In a bowl, add the eggs, beat them well.
- Add the zucchini and corn. Mix well.
- Add the flour, pesto and bacon and stir some more.
- On medium heat, drizzle some olive oil on a pan. When hot, using a tablespoon or an icecream scoop, pour some of the mix on the pan and cook it for ⅔ minutes on each sides.
- Repeat until done the preparation is all used up.
- Serve warm or cold. Both delicious!
- Avoid soggy fritters by really getting the most of the water content out of the zucchini.
- Skip de bacon to make it vegetarian
- Can be enjoyed cold too!
Tried them tonight. Quick, easy and absolutely delicious. The entire family loved them
Yeahhh! Thanks Haby :) I'm glad it was a success!